Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Notice Board

I love my kids Art. In fact I love it so much I have a whole file cabinet full of the stuff, I have no idea what I am going to do with it all yet but I have it all safe for when I decide what to do! When new artwork comes home I display it on the fridge. This is all good and well if it's small, but as well as that I have 1000, 000 other things up on my fridge and things were getting a bit crazy. When I brushed against the fridge the other day and a heap of papers and magnets fell upon the floor I decided it was time to look for another art holding place.

This is about when I decided to make a noticeboard for each of my kids bedrooms for their art and anything else they wanted to pin up on it.

So far I have only finished Riley's and I am going to share it here with you. Once Abbey's is made I will share here later!



I had an old cork board sitting around home so decided to use that. Riley came to Spotlight with me and chose the fabric he wanted. I made sure I measured my board before hand and got slightly more fabric than the board was big.

I hand-sewed the rocket and stars onto the corner of the fabric first. I made them with felt, beads and sequins. I then carefully took the cork board frame off the cork and stretched the fabric around the board and using a gun stapler attached the fabric on the back. I then put the frame back around and glued the wooden letters onto the top of the frame. I used Kaisercraft wooden letters which I painted yellow then after the paint was dry stenciled the blue stars on.




Riley LOVES his noticeboard and it hangs proudly above his bed. I can't wait until school starts so I can start pinning some stuff up on it!! Abbeys will be different again, haven't quite decided what I will do with hers yet but I will share when I do!

6 comments:

Leonie said...

wow! you have the coolest ideas, right down to the little details like the stars on the letters!
i love that fabric..I have some in my stash waiting to be used.
Love this idea, you've inspired me as all my kids need noticeboards.

mandyb said...

this is the cutest....how fun for him to put stuff on here!!!
such a good idea

Katie said...

Love this! Might have to hunt down an old corkboard at one of the secondhand shops.... :-)

Jenny said...

It's fantastic!

chrisste said...

love this, your very clever. and sorry to hijack your blog but yes I do make those bears and have added a link on my blog for you to follow.....or you could make them yourself!!

Lainie said...

Hmmmm, I have two corkboards doing nothing in my house.

This is my first time here, love your sunny blog. The orange background is gorgeous.