Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Extra Curricular Activities - Part Two; Girl Guides

When Riley started Cubs I decided I wanted to get Abbey into Girl Guides. I knew that girls could join the Scouts but I wanted Riley and Abbey to have their own activities.  They are at home together, they go to the same school they do most things together so it was important for me to let them have something that was individual and apart from each other. Something to call their own.

When I was a little girl I remember being a Brownie.  I remember going on Brownie Camp and doing lots of fun activities. I remembered how much fun I had as a kid at Brownies and thought that Abbey would enjoy it too.  She was too young to be a Brownie so she joined the next group down, The Pippins.

Showing off her sash full of badges

Abbey LOVES going to Pippins.  She has made a bunch of new friends, done lots of crafty things, gone on camp, got involved in ANZAC Day, visited the SPCA, the Pools and even Lazer Maze.  She has so much fun there.

Pippins & Brownies at Waitangi

Girl Guides is so empowering for young girls. It shows them they can do anything. They do so much cool stuff! Like Scouts they earn badges, go on camps and do outdoorsey things. They do crafts and have fun. They encourage and support each other. It is a wonderful place to be.

Toasting Marshmallows at the camp fire

Abbey's last Pippins meeting for the year is going to be similar to Riley's last Cubs one. It will be all the groups together lots of different aged girls from all over Northland. We are heading out to the beach for loads of end of year fun.

Since the last meeting is at the beach I thought I'd give the Pippins leaders their thank you gifts tonight at the last meeting at the Clubrooms.


They were thrilled and I also got a lovely picture of them with Abbey.

Abbey & her Pippins Leaders

Abbey has only 3 more terms as a Pippin then she will move up to be a Brownie. I can't wait for more camps and activities to be parent help with!! I think I am having as much fun as the kids are!

So what kind of extra curricular activities do your kids get involved in? And do you enjoy it as much as they do?!